The Adventure Continues

Our Church Council granted me a sabbatical for three months during the summer of 2010. My intention was to learn Latin American Spanish and to explore Latin American cultures here and abroad. Now that I have had some opportunities to lead mission trips to Yuscaran, Honduras, and to visit Mexico three times, the adventure continues.



Seeking New Horizons

Seeking New Horizons

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Por que tienes zapatos en la piscina?

Sunday worship at the small church and at the ordination were very special events. We all prayed for Andy and Judy, in Spanish. The people here are very gracious and welcoming. As it turns out, the Lutheran churches are not growing as fast as I thought. However, the greatest excitement is among the youth! D-Guy's work here with Project Connect has fired up the next generation and many are heading for seminary. Boom Chicka Boom!

Most of the time when I speak Spanish to adults, they answer me in English. As we have headed toward Ponce, there is less familiarity with English, and in the pool today I found a five year old boy who was willing to talk with me in Spanish. The best interchange was when he wore his shoes into the water! I think my vocabulary is on the level on a four year old, but at least I can talk to children.

1 comment:

  1. The good thing is that children are very forgiving of language errors. :)
    ~Margie

    ReplyDelete