The Adventure Continues

Our Church Council granted me a sabbatical for three months during the summer of 2010. My intention was to learn Latin American Spanish and to explore Latin American cultures here and abroad. Now that I have had some opportunities to lead mission trips to Yuscaran, Honduras, and to visit Mexico three times, the adventure continues.



Seeking New Horizons

Seeking New Horizons

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First Sermon in Spanish

The congregation was all men. Most of them were dressed in various shades of yellow, although many of them had shades of khaki. They were all very intent on every word I spoke, and that in and of itself seemed like a miracle, because I spoke only in Spanish.

We were in a prison. We were invited to participate with our host, Fernando, who is a Eucharistic minister in the Catholic Church. I spoke for only about 2 or 3 minutes, giving a reflection that I had not expected to give until Fernando announced my presence and handed me the microphone. I usually have more preparation time!

The men who were wearing yellow had already been sentenced. The ones in khaki were waiting for a trial, and some had been waiting for ten years. Thank God and our constitution and for Habeas Corpus!

I spoke of how God had called Abraham and he obeyed, not knowing where he was going or why. I also feel called to learn Spanish, although I have no clear idea why. The history and the culture here are facinating! So much to absorb. So much to study. "Listen, listen, God is calling.¨

No comments:

Post a Comment