The Adventure Continues

Our Church Council granted me a sabbatical for three months during the summer of 2010. My intention was to learn Latin American Spanish and to explore Latin American cultures here and abroad. Now that I have had some opportunities to lead mission trips to Yuscaran, Honduras, and to visit Mexico three times, the adventure continues.



Seeking New Horizons

Seeking New Horizons

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Speaking Spanish

I have found that on the Rosetta Stone program, writing has been the most difficult exercise. However, as I work with it, I am finding the speaking to be more difficult. I went back to the restaurant on Monday and tried to get more complicated in what I ordered. Unfortunately the first three items I ordered were not available, so I resorted to English. The waiter does both languages, so I did not go hungry. I was thinking that it is hard for New Englanders to strike up a conversation with strangers in English. It is even harder to try to do it in Spanish.
Then we had a phone message from Carol at Shepherd of the Valley. She had heard from one of the other Lutheran pastors about my desire to learn Spanish. She has been learning for several years, but she needs practice. Sometimes she to talks to her dog in Spanish, which, fortunately, is not a German Shepherd. So we had breakfast and talked Spanish. I guess I am doing pretty well because she said it was more fun to talk to me than to talk to the dog. Aahh, more encouragement!
So next Wednesday we are forming a little group of her, Doreen, her friend, and me to talk Spanish. If anyone else is interested, please let me know. We will be talking sslloowwllyy.

1 comment:

  1. I have been trying to learn Spanish since high school. I can do fairly well with a newspaper, but the spoken language seemly cannot be learned from a book. I think full immersion might work, but I've never had the opportunity for this experience.
    Dave Kramer

    ReplyDelete