The Adventure Continues

Our Church Council granted me a sabbatical for three months during the summer of 2010. My intention was to learn Latin American Spanish and to explore Latin American cultures here and abroad. Now that I have had some opportunities to lead mission trips to Yuscaran, Honduras, and to visit Mexico three times, the adventure continues.



Seeking New Horizons

Seeking New Horizons

Monday, June 14, 2010

Sunday Worship (Church in Cyperspace)

On my first Sunday on sabbatical, I visited two Lutheran churches on the cutting edge of using the internet for spreading the Gospel. Pastor Keith Anderson at Redeemer in Woburn and Pastor Mark Huber in Marshfield are the new cyperspace gurus for the New England Synod. They both did workshops at the New England Synod Assembly on the uses of electronic social media in the church. I worshiped in Woburn in the morning in what I regard as a traditional kind of service, very well done. However, the church website expresses much about the use of the internet and is well worth a visit.
At 5:30, I had a light dinner at a home in Marshfield where an emerging church is growing. The service was very untraditional with the "bulletin" being on a television screen where we also viewed the words to the hymns and watched parts of the sermon. Other parts of the sermon were in the form of a small group discussion, this time on the big "E" word: "Evangelism." Any form of the word seems to scare away people in our culture because we have so many bad examples of people doing it. However, it simply means to share good news! I came away pondering two questions: What is the Good News we have to share? What kind of Good News are people looking for? I'm looking for some answers this summer.
You may visit both of these sites by clicking on the links at the left side of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment