The Adventure Continues

Our Church Council granted me a sabbatical for three months during the summer of 2010. My intention was to learn Latin American Spanish and to explore Latin American cultures here and abroad. Now that I have had some opportunities to lead mission trips to Yuscaran, Honduras, and to visit Mexico three times, the adventure continues.



Seeking New Horizons

Seeking New Horizons

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ways of Studying

As the school year is coming to a close, Doreen has a bit more time for studying Spanish. She likes to do it with the textbook we both bought when we took a Spanish course at the College of the US Virgin Islands. She likes the grammar and the conjugations. I like the computer program. Together we have some interesting and fun discussions about what we're learning. We're able to fill in the gaps in each other's learning. I'm better at the pronunciations, and she knows how to explain the why of what we are trying to say. For example, I have not yet come across the plural of "uno," which means "one." The plural would literally be "ones," but the word is best translated as "some." She has also found some short stories in the book about which I had forgotten. Reading them will help me to supplement the free Spanish newspaper I found at lunch on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Dave,
    That's terrific that you and Doreen are able to complement one another's learning styles. You both remind me of how much I enjoyed learning to read and write (and speak, though not as well) in Spanish when I was in high school, and how much I still enjoy it, even though I don't use it as much as I would like...so it might be time for me to break out the old Spanish textbooks again. :) I actually have a book, Cassell's Colloquial Spanish, that covers idiomatic usage and includes Latin-American Spanish. If you or Doreen would like to borrow it, you're welcome to it.
    ~Margie

    ReplyDelete